Friday, April 12, 2013

Don't Worry. Learn English.


A tutor asked me last week about a website I often recommend,
Learn English with Songs. The site helps learners pick up vocabulary and sentence structure by way of song lyrics. Ideally, with several repetitions, the songs become earworms, i.e. snatches of language and melody that cannot easily be removed from the mind. The site is mostly easy to use, but she had one specific problem, to wit:
Is there a way to see the video and the song lyrics and word bank at the same time? I can't seem to get it to work that way, so I've ended up retyping the lyrics and leaving blanks on a separate sheet. (you can't copy/paste from their website). Our first experience with Bobby McFerrin, Don't Worry, be Happy, was a good/challenging, yet fun, way to practice! We're doing it again today.
I advised her that there was a way to get the video, music and lyrics all at once.
What I did to try to address her problem was to open up two browsers at the same time, each of them showing the same page but a different part of it. I put a screen capture below to show what I meant.  Another thought—you could try printing the lyrics and filling the gaps in with pencil. Have fun. Teach English!

 

No comments: