- News For You – This news weekly, printed by New Readers Press, comes tailored for beginning readers of English. Both English Second Language and Adult Basic Literacy learners will find up-to-date stories about the issues of the day. This week’s issue addresses national health care legislation and France’s cultural issues with immigrants, as well as human interest stories. All of its content is written at about a third grade level, easy enough for most beginners to follow but still informative. We get 50 copies per week, so anyone who needs one should be able to find a copy on the library's check-in table.
- Hands-On English – A bimonthly publication for English second language tutors and teachers has helpful techniques and games. Each issue also has a reproducible multi-level dictation. You will find it in a white binder on the check-in table .
- Patterns In Spelling – This old standby teaches spelling using word families in a way that organizes and makes sense of English spelling. It is great for both ESL and ABE. A grant from New Readers Press has made it possible for us to buy updated copies to replace worn ones in our library.
- Future Intro, English for Results – We have books one through five in this series. Each one comes with an audio cassette to give learners something to practice with between lessons.
- English for Everyday Activities Audio CDs – Clear-voiced models read the descriptions of activities pictured in the books of the same title. They include getting on the bus, making a salad or cleaning the house. The pleasant voices are accompanied sometimes with dialog and sound effects, such as vacuum cleaners or someone saying ‘Yecch, this cucumber is mushy!’ When you hear everything read together it has the pleasant effect of someone reading a bedtime story.
Monday, July 27, 2009
New Resources in Literacy Network's Library
I’m writing to inform you of some of the good things that have come to Literacy Network. These resources live in our library. Some will go out for one-month loan and some are free for the taking. Let’s run down what you will find next time you visit our library.